Your monthly breast self-exams can be a valuable tool as you get to know what is normal for you. It is important to realize that many women find their breasts feel "lumpy" and that breast tissue often has a bumpy texture. No two women are exactly alike. For some women, this can be more obvious. But in most cases, this is no reason for concern, especially if the "lumpiness" is felt throughout the breast and feels similar to your other one.
You should, however, notice these signs and contact your doctor if you are aware of any change in your breast or underarm area.
- Lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast or underarm area
- Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening of the breast
- Change in the size or shape of the breast
- Dimpling or puckering of the skin
- Itchy, scaly wound or rash on the nipple
- Pulling in of your nipple or other parts of the breast
- Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
- New pain in one spot that does not go away