History
Efforts to establish a hospital in Rochelle date back more than a century. In 1913, Lincoln Hospital opened in a small apartment building on 13th Street, offering the community its first local healthcare option. While the hospital changed ownership and reopened several times, financial challenges and World War II ultimately forced its closure in 1942.
Later that year, the City of Rochelle reopened the facility as Rochelle City Hospital, placing it under city management to ensure continued access to care. Although operations stabilized, the facility quickly became outdated. With support from community leaders — and land donated for just $1 — construction of a new hospital began in 1945, opening in 1946.
As Rochelle grew through the 1950s and 1960s, so did demand for healthcare services. Expansion was needed, but funding and governance challenges led to difficult community debates. In 1964, a new path forward emerged: creating a private, not-for-profit hospital owned by the community it served.

A Community-Owned Hospital Is Born
The Rochelle Community Hospital Association was formed in 1965, uniting 33 community leaders with a shared commitment to local healthcare. With determination — and even a $1,000 “check” written on a napkin — the Association took ownership of the hospital for $1 on May 1, 1965. Rochelle City Hospital officially became Rochelle Community Hospital.
Built by the Community
Facing the need for major expansion, the newly formed hospital launched a bold fundraising campaign with a goal of $750,000. The response was extraordinary. Residents, businesses, farmers, students, and professionals came together to raise $1.37 million, far surpassing the original goal.
Thanks to this remarkable show of community support, the expanded facility was completed in 1970, welcoming its first patients that November — a lasting symbol of what a united community can accomplish.